Here's one that's been on the bottom of my list for far too long: make a necklace using these corks.
I love the texture, so when I found them in a vintage science kit, I grabbed them up.
I proceeded to neglect the corks for about 2 years, until last night. I was itching to do something creative and my other projects (mostly things involving paint) need time to cure. In an effort to cultivate patience I set up to make a necklace instead.
First I found my sewing kit. It was a present from Erin, who owns Yellow Bird Gifts. Check her out!
I also located 2 pieces of felt from a failed felt Peter Pan collar necklace that I attempted to make a little bit ago. I laid out the corks on the fabric to see if it could work. And it did!
Waste not; want not.
I used a safety pin to poke holes in each cork. You could do this with a needle to save some steps, but I didn't want to risk bending a sewing needle.
Then because the corks have a rustic texture, I marked each hole with straight pins so I wouldn't lose all of the holes I'd made. I thought they looked pretty.
Because they do.
Then came the not so pretty part. I sewed the corks to the felt in the arrangement I'd planned. I used upholstery thread because it was the closest color to that of the cork that I had. I stitched as much behind the corks as possible, because I didn't want them to be very visible.
This led to and irregular stitches and a very messy look.
After stitching and securing each cork, I tacked on ribbon on the ends. I could have also attached a chain, but I wanted to keep the media down to wood and cloth.
The good thing about a failed Peter Pan collar is that there are two pieces that failed and are identical.
I stitched the second piece over the foundation felt to help the necklace look more polished.
Polished is a relative term, I know because I'm clearly wearing corks. But it works!