Monday, July 28, 2014

Finders Keepers Vol. 2 | Beauty Marks

Lately, I've been seeing graffiti pop up around me. It is everywhere, but what really captures my attention are tiny stenciled pictures in one color. I think of them as beauty marks. Technically, I suppose they are a sign of lawlessness. But they display seems to augment and elevate the object they are put on rather than deface it.
And there is a sense of whimsy about them.
Are they done by the same person? I'd love to know.

I've challenged myself over the last 2 weeks to spot as many as I could.

I accepted the challenge; these are what I've noticed.

1.) Thing One and Thing Two



2.) The Trinity



3.) Rose is a Rose is a Rose



4.) Quoth the Raven

Interestingly, this was the only stencil used on every side of the trash bin. 


5.) Other-worldly





6.) He loves me...?


7.) Man of Thoughts 



By far, this is my favorite find, sandwiched between two unsightly buildings offering quick money for strings attached. 

Did you notice patterns?
  • Concrete.
  • Monochrome.
  • Stenciled.
  • Often "framed" by the object  where it has been added. 

  • Red stencil art East of Grand and Black is West. (I am not sure if there is a pattern yet. I'll keep you posted.)  



No comments:

Post a Comment