Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Flirt, Write, and Talk Boldly: Listed Resolutions and a Revelation

Here is my short list of New Year's Resolutions.

I will at any point expand or annotate it, because I love a good list.

(Yes, this is written on a Christmas card envelope.
I love writing on envelopes.)


Typically I don't commit to a list before the new year.  Nor do I kick it off right away or broadcast it.  I try (if I do have some resolutions) to adopt new habits, not abolish them.  They are born out of necessity, not convention. 

Can you see the pattern in my list this year?
It took awhile for me to spot.  
Think on it a moment.

Actually, the pattern, was revealed in a quiet moment of prayer.  It came during one of those liturgical moments of silence, during a prayer of confession, while praying for sins to be revealed. 
The thought without lead-in came fully formed: 
"You're hiding."

And so I am.  And so I have been.  Daily pulling a metaphorical huge hoodie over myself.  The soft folds swallow and comfort all of me and conceal me as well.  We all are at times, hiding, and need to be to heal or grow, but my time and need for hiding is over.  It has become a protected, easy, and admittedly lazy place.  
I know it's high time that I am seen again.  Full on. 
Not quite metaphorical spandex unitard with visible panty-lines "seen," but...this metaphor is unraveling fast. I hope you understand.  

Not to say that this list came out of those revealing two words.  
It came before.  

I'm so glad that they align.  
But of course with a listening heart, they always would. 





1 comment:

  1. You are so talented at sharing vulnerable thoughts and threading in humor. I love your visible panty line reference....vaguely reminds me of a favorite Liz Lemon quote haha!

    ReplyDelete